27 June 2013

News from Nelson - June 2 2013

Hi all,
Another quick note to catch you all up again.

This weekend Jan has his concert, The Grand Ball - he says they are sounding OK, but a bit ragged in places. I will see - or hear - tomorrow night!

I am off to Welly on Sunday for two days, for my next CDANZ meeting. I have just put out my third issue of the CDANZ Ezine, and am starting to get into my stride now. I have some plans for content improvement, but I will have to see how I manage: it does take hours and hours to put together every quarter.

It is the semester break at the mo; I have got all my results in, and am working flat out on preparing my courses for next semester, and my ethics application for my masters. I am hoping that I might get time to work on my new website, which has been in beta for eighteen months (!), but I am not feeling positive about finding the time!

Last Friday night we went to a quiz night with Janet & Robbie, which was really heaps of fun, and raised lots of dosh for the Wakefield School, to purchase one of those folding stages for their hall. We came 7th of 25 teams, despite the quiz masters having some answers wrong :-D

I am looking forward to next week, when the concert will be over, and Jan will be less tired. Four rehearsals in the week leading up to the concert really takes it out of him - the 45 minutes drive home certainly doesn't help, either. He was going to take tomorrow off to sleep, but one of his longest serving staff members is leaving tomorrow, so he needs to go in after all.

At the moment I am writing a case study on Lance Armstrong for use in my research in September. I always thought he was a jerk, but after all the research I have done, I am staggered that international cycling hadn't taken any action when it was so obvious that Lance and many others were doping. Regularly. Consistently. In fact, UCI's inaction effectively condoned drug abuse in the cycling community. For fifteen years. Amazing.

We had a lovely sunrise the other day, unfortunately it blurred, but the colours are nice. Enjoy.


Jan is off to Rotovegas in September (10th to 12th). I think I will be in Wellington on the 8-9 for another CDANZ meeting.

Then I will be in Chch for Thursday, Friday & hopefully the weekend of October 17-20. Hopefully Jan will be with me too, but we still have to work that out.

Jan is in the US in November, as I mentioned last time.

Right, that's all for now. Will be back in touch in a few weeks.

Sam & Jan

No comments: