01 April 2008

News from Nelson – April 2008



Hi all,

And a new financial year rolls on around! Things are pretty busy at the moment, so this will be short.

Karen Trotter is down here again for a fortnight's holiday, which is wonderful. We went with Karen & with John Fitzwater to 'MarchFest' at Founders on the weekend. It bucketed down with rain - the first rain since Relay for Life - but the beer was good.

Jan has had his second results back for his management paper at nmit - and, surprisingly 100%. Again, it is only out of 2%, but isn't he clever?!

We have decided that we will not go any further with PureStyle (the show home designers) as they really were VERY expensive! Instead, we have found, through the Inwoods, an architectural draftsperson, Leigh Briars, who lives over in the Moutere about 3k away from the land. Megs & her folks have both used Leigh &, since we have had a meeting with him which went really well, we are feeling very comfortable. Leigh has some really good ideas & will make use of as much solar energy as possible. Our house layout plan is largely cribbed from PureStyle's, but with a lot of our ideas incorporated. And a lot more energy efficiency, sustainability and use of environmentally-friendly materials. The current plan is to start building in spring 2009, and aim for completion in autumn 2010.

We have spent some time at the land to fillet our timber - and Megs was up here for Easter so we got her to help out as well. Isn't it really great how we rope people in! That means the timber is all sorted for now; we will need to get the pine sleepers treated, but we have just heard about some locally-based copper treatment - at Pangatotara - so we can avoid any process that uses arsenic, which would be fab.

The papers I am teaching currently are going well, and I am enjoying it. I have been asked if I would teach three papers in the Sports & Rec school, and another three in the Business School next semester (I am enjoying it, but not that much!). I have trimmed it down to one paper in each school. At this stage it looks like Intro to Marketing for Sports & Rec (a year three paper for S&R, but equates to year 1 Business school level), and Leadership, a year 2 paper in the Business School. I also got asked if I would be interested in Management lecturing on NMIT's joint venture in China (the paper I taught last year that Jan is currently doing), but I don't fancy going up there for a month at a time. Not only would that mean a problem for continuity with my clients and the boards I am on, but it would also provide a pretty large problem for the dogs & Jan! So that was firmly declined.

I had breakfast out for my birthday today - I am teaching tonight, so we will have a BBQ on Saturday and have a bit of a knees-up then.

Jan is off in Chch tomorrow doing a course, so will catch up with whoever of you has replied; for a couple of hours! At the Loaded Hog, I think...

We are still planning a mid-year trip to Europe. We are still not sure of dates, but likely to be July or maybe August.

Take care, lots of hugs & more next time. Alles liebe :-)


Sam & Jan

No comments: